Summer has officially begun, and the Fourth of July is right around the corner! Get ready for BBQs, beach trips, fresh food and cold drinks! At The Fhitting Room, we believe if you work hard, you get to play hard! Holidays are a time to celebrate and spend time with family and friends, but that doesn’t mean you need to sabotage your FHITness goals! Keep cool this Independence Day with our five favorite refreshing cocktails! Each of these are made with simple and fresh ingredients without any store-bought mixers or added sugar. These drinks will keep your party going while still keeping you feeling FHIT!
Who said kids are the only ones who enjoy popsicles? These adult ice pops are perfect for hot summer days spent in the sun. As your kids’ ice cream cones melt down their arms, you can relax with this adult popsicle made with only three simple ingredients.
1-cup sweet rosé wine
2 cups lemonade
- Combine the rosé and lemonade in a measuring cup with a spout.
- Add the blueberries to 10 3-ounce or 8 4-ounce ice pop molds, dividing evenly. Pour the lemonade mixture into the molds. Insert ice-pop sticks and freeze until firm, at least 8 hours or overnight.
Tip: Because blueberries float in this liquid, they will rise to the surface of your ice pop molds. To distribute evenly, freeze the pops in three stages, adding an even number of blueberries each time.
We can all agree that watermelon is the unofficial fruit of summer, and the only way to make it even better is to make it boozy. This recipe requires some minor watermelon surgery, but the presentation is a crowd pleaser and the drink itself tastes like summer.
1 medium watermelon, whole
750 ml lemon-flavored vodka (or flavor of your choice)
Cooler and ice
2 whole lemons, sliced paper-thin
Cilantro leaf (optional)
- Place the melon in the bottom of the cooler. Using a sharp knife, or apple-coring tool, carve a 1 ½ inch hole in the top of the melon through the center of the melon. Open the vodka and place the neck of the bottle in the hole. Use rolled towels to keep the bottle upright in the melon.
- Fill the cooler with ice and cover with aluminum foil.
- Leave overnight for vodka to be absorbed into the melon.
- Remove bottle and cut melon in half, then cut flesh into chunks (or use melon baller if desired). Mix in large bowl with sliced lemons and cilantro if desired.
Tip: Leftover "water" in the serving bowl makes a refreshing cocktail; serve over ice.
Move over Sangria- there’s a new wine cocktail at the bar this summer. This recipe makes a deliciously chilled, frothy slushie with just two frozen fruits and your favorite white wine. Switch out your protein shake or green juice for this fun summer cocktail on the Fourth of July. You’ve earned it!
4 Cups (chilled) Pinot Grigio
3/4 Bag Frozen Peaches
3/4 Bag Frozen Pineapple|
1 Cup Ice
- In a blender combine the wine, peaches and pineapple. Puree until smooth. Add ice and pulse until you reach desired slush consistency.
- This recipe makes 8 servings. You can always make a batch and place some in the freezer, then just defrost for 15 minutes at room temp when you want a top off!
Fresh from the garden, this cucumber cooler is a perfect summer cocktail. Cucumber invigorates any drink, even water, but when muddled with limes, gin and fresh mint leaves, you really can’t go wrong. Fresh herbs aren’t just for cooking or roasting a chicken anymore; they add a refreshing kick to this summer cocktail.
1.5 oz gin (or 3 Tbsp)
4-6 cucumber slices
1/4 lime, sliced
4 oz tonic water
6 mint leaves
1 Tbsp sugar (optional)
- Add mint, lime, gin and sugar (if using) to shaker and muddle.
- Add cucumber slices to shaker and shake vigorously.
- Pour mixture over a glass filled with ice and top with tonic water.
- Stir, let set for a few minutes to allow the flavors to enhance and enjoy.
Kari’s Famous Margaritas
Our FHIT Founder, Kari and Chief of Deets and Peeps, Jessica’s drink of choice for summertime is “green juice” aka margaritas! Every summer we have a FHITfam BBQ in the Hamptons, and the signature drink is fresh squeezed margaritas. There are endless ways to make a margarita nowadays, but this recipe does not use any mixers or added sugar. Enjoy your outdoor holidays this summer with this delicious margarita recipe, from our FHITfam to yours!
6 parts Patron Silver or Don Julio Blanco
4 parts freshly squeezed lime
1 part Cointreau
1 part freshly squeezed orange juice
Optional: Stir in agave to sweeten to your liking
Combine all ingredients and serve over plenty of ice.