While autumn technically started in late September, October is when the season hits full (kettlebell) swing. As we prepare for a festively fit Halloween, we’re taking some time to look back on the stories that had us buzzing this month. Keep reading to learn what pieces of news made our top 10 for October.
1) Kick gymtimidation to the curb with the help of one of own FHITpros, Carlos Davila. He shares his tips on how to feel confident when you’re new to strength training (or FHIXing) with Health magazine in this article.
2) Thinking about donning a belly-baring costume this Halloween? Sneak in some last minute core work by checking out Amanda Butler’s ab-centric workout featured on Redbook’s website.
3) Watch out, Amazon Prime! Well + Good reports that the buy-in-bulk destination Costco is rolling out its own speedy delivery system, which will include fresh produce in nearly 400 locations. Get ready for ample avocados on demand at sub-Whole Foods prices.
4) We know FHIXes are great for boosting strength and endurance, but what about creativity? According to Elite Daily, HIT has been shown to improve memory and cognition, which can positively impact creative capabilities. The next time you’re struggling with writer’s block, maybe a quick circuit is just what you need to bang out some more paragraphs.
5) Not sure what kind of recovery routine is best post-FHIX? Mindbodygreen breaks down exactly what interval training fanatics need to do to restore and recharge after that last set of burpees.
6) If you need to cross strength training and cardio off of your to-do list and have less than 30 minutes to spare, Lacee Lazoff has you covered. Check out the multitasking workout she created for time-crunched days on SELF’s website.
7) Is the 3PM slump an all too common occurrence for you? Greatist shares 19 afternoon snacks dieticians recommend to keep you energized and focused until dinner time.
8) If you’re looking to strengthen your arms sans weights, check out Haute Living for a 20 minute upper body workout that you can do in your living room. Amanda Butler breaks down each movement and demonstrates what top notch form looks like.
9) Between the wildfires in California and the hurricanes along the coast, the time is now to help those affected by natural disaster. Whether you missed our Puerto Rico beneFHIT class or are eager to keep the pattern of giving going, check out this GOOP article to learn where you can donate to next.
10) Well + Good has your back when it comes to last minute Halloween costumes on the cheap. Check out their top 5 costumes you can create with items from your workout clothes drawer.