January gave us a strong (and cold) start to the New Year. We’re taking a look back at the NYC fitness stories that made an impact on us over the past month. From new workouts to new leggings, and from ever important stretching techniques to serious scientific advances, check out our picks for the most important happenings so far in 2018.
1. Don’t be one of those people who skips leg day. Build up your bottom half and get a strong foundation to stand on. Need help on where to start? Blast your booty and tone your thighs with this amazing workout created by our very own Melody Scharff for Self Magazine.
2. Ralph Lauren has once again designed the uniforms for all Team USA athletes headed to the 2018 Olympic Winter Games. As we head into February, you may want to pick up a few of these pieces, which include innovated heat technology that’s guaranteed to keep you warm on even the bitterest of NYC’s winter days.
3. If you’re feeling stiff post workout, or just looking for ways to relieve tension and wind down, check out these 21 stretches, compiled by FHITpros Jess Sims and Lacee Lazoff for Self Magazine. Stretching is often overlooked because it isn’t flashy or exciting, but it’s a key component to a healthy body.
4. The 2018 Winter Olympics are just around the corner. Get an inside look at how Lindsey Vonn is preparing with this article from New York Times Magazine, and maybe even pick up a few tips that will up your game on the slopes.
5. If you’re looking to expand your fitness and wellness routine this year, check out this article by NBC News, which lays out the top 8 fitness trends for 2018.
6. It’s not too late to resurrect your New Year’s resolution. If you’re looking for a fresh way to continue working your 2018 goals, or if your goal is to help your kids develop good habits early, check out these new NYC classes.
7. Triceps… another word for those muscles on the back of your arms that can be a bit problematic. If you (like a lot of people) need some strengthening in that area, check out our trainer Simon Lawson’s targeted exercises in this write up for Ask Men.
8. Check out New York Family’s first ever Fitness & Wellness Parent Power List., including FHIT Founder, Kari Saitowitz. Give the article a read for some ideas to help keep your whole family fit.
9. According to this article by NPR, scientists at Johns Hopkins Sidney Kimmel Cancer Center are close to developing a blood test that would detect certain types of cancers before symptoms have developed. That’s great news for your health, and a huge sign of progress in the field!
10. Between soy, oat, rice, almond, and coconut, there are a ton of non-dairy milk options out there. But which is the healthiest? According to Time, the best choice for your latte (and your health) is soy.