Coconut Dark Chocolate Fruit Skewers
If you’re heading outside for the usual BBQ, take our word when we say these are the most refreshing frozen treats to escape the heat – and they’re so easy to make! One stop at Whole Foods and you’re on your way to what we consider a seriously good berry-to-chocolate dessert ratio (this is a thing, we swear).
Ingredients (Makes 8 Skewers):
- 4 ripe bananas
- ~2/3 cup of blueberries
- 16 plump strawberries
- 1 cup of baking dark chocolate chunks
- 1 tablespoon of coconut oil
- Coconut flakes
- Wooden/bamboo skewer sticks
- Wax paper
- Prep each skewer by cutting each banana in half, and removing the ends on each so that every slice is a flat cylinder. Place on skewers by inserting through the middle of each slice.
- Place chocolate chunks in a bowl and microwave for one minute. Remove, stir, and heat longer if needed until fully melted.
- Mix the coconut oil throughly into melted chocolate.
- Use a spoon to scoop the melted chocolate and cover each banana slice (or try dipping and rolling, if your bowl is big enough). Sprinkle on coconut flakes thoroughly until the whole slice is fully covered. Place on wax paper. Repeat on all 8 bananas.
- Freeze bananas for at least 45 minutes before adding strawberries (with tops cut off) and blueberries to the skewers however desired.
- Keep frozen until taking out to serve.
Snickerdoodle Protein Blondies with Low Fat Cream Cheese Icing
*Recipe adapted from http://corinanielsen.com
These babies are awesome for any occasion, but we decided to add a little patriotic flare for the perfect cheat clean treat! Don't blame us if you end up eating them for breakfast everyday though, because they're basically the long lost brother to the warm cinnamon bun ala gooey icing you've been eyeing for months (yeah, we caught you). And the best part? Each blondie is around 8 grams of protein, so feel free to splurge.
Ingredients for Blondies:
- 1 can garbanzo beans (no salt added) (rinsed and peeled so that skins are removed)
- 1 ½ scoops of vanilla casein protein powder
- 2/3 cups plain rolled oats
- ½ cup smooth almond butter
- 1 large egg
- 2 tablespoons egg whites
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 3 tablespoons stevia (granulated)
- 2 tablespoons ground cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ cup unsweetened vanilla almond milk
Ingredients for Icing:
- 4 oz. of whipped low fat cream cheese
- 1/3 cup of 0% Greek yogurt
- 1/3 cup of granulated stevia (or Splenda)
- ½ teaspoon of vanilla extract
- Red or blue food dye
- Desired sprinkles for decoration
- Preheat oven to 350° and grease an 8x8 pan with nonstick spray.
- Drain garbanzo beans and remove the skins by gently squeezing each bean together. This is semi tedious but worth it for an extremely smooth batter. This is a GREAT task for your family to pitch in on.
- After rinsing and patting beans dry, place all ingredients in a large food processor. Blend until smooth. If the batter is still thick, add more almond milk as needed and continue to blend until pourable.
- Pour batter into pre greased pan and press flat.
- Bake for 12 minutes (or until a toothpick through the center comes up clean).
- Let cool for 20 minutes before adding icing.
- Keep refrigerated to preserve.
- Hand mix all ingredients into a large bowl with a spatula (or electric mixer on low if you want it to be extra whipped)
- Seperate into two (or three) bowls depending on how many colors you want to use
- Add 8-15 food dye drops into each until desired color
- Thickly spread on each blondie seperately and decorate!
Red, White, and Blue Salad: Grilled Chicken with Crumbled Feta and Homemade Blueberry Vinaigrette
You didn't think we would forget to include your veggie FHIX in this list, did you? Before you indulge on blondies and frozen fruit all night long, give your tastebuds a try with this sweet and savory salad. The grilled chicken will provide for a high protein FHIX, and the blueberry dressing is a light dose of your healthy fats for the day - not to mention it's absolutely delicious. Oh, and probably the most important FHIT tip we can stress: save it for meal prep for the upcoming weekend! It tastes just as great two days later, trust us.
Ingredients for Salad:
- Bag of baby spinach (pre-washed)
- 4-5 medium sized tomatoes
- 1 large cucumber
- 2 grilled chicken breasts (freshly made, or pre-bought)
- 2/3 cup crumbled feta
- 1/2 cup ripe blueberries
Ingredients for Dressing:
- 1/2 cup blueberries (mashed)
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons Balsamic vinegar
- 1 teaspoon lite honey mustard
- 1 teaspoon wild flower honey
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon peppers
- Prep the dressing by mashing blueberries in a medium sized bowl. Mix in all other ingredients and whisk throughly. Keep stored in refrigerator. You may have to shake or remix the dressing when it comes time to use it due to oil separation.
- Cut the tomatoes into cubes, and slice the cucumber. Slice the grilled chicken breasts into strips. Combine in a large salad bowl with all other ingredients and toss.
- Add desired amount of homemade dressing. Enjoy!