Now that Thanksgiving has come and gone, it’s time to get back into your fitness routine and finish 2017 with a bang. Whether it’s increasing how frequently you get your FHIX or finally upping your kettlebell swing weight, we’re all about closing out the year on a high note. This month’s roundup of FHIT news will leave you inspired and ready to conquer the rest of the year (and beyond), so keep reading!
1. Strength training isn’t just fun, it might be lifesaving. A new study found that exercisers who incorporated weight training into their workout routine decreased their risk of premature death by 23% and were 31% less likely to die from cancer-related causes. Check out Mindbodygreen for the full story and grab that heavy kettlebell in class STAT.
2. It’s not just in your head; working out in a group really is a better stress reliever than sweating it out solo. Well + Good has the deets on a new study that found that subjects who exercised with peers experienced a 26% decrease in perceived stress levels. The next time you’re getting anxious, grab a friend and get your FHIX together to calm both of your nerves.
3. Looking to holiday shop for the fitness fanatics in your life? The Observer has you covered when it comes to gift recommendations for all the sweat addicts you know. Warning: Their picks are so good, you may be tempted to buy some for yourself.
4. In case you need some extra motivation to lift heavy, check out this New York Times article. The piece discusses a new study which found that in order to maintain muscle mass and lose fat as you age, incorporating strength training into your routine is a must.
5. If you’re looking to shed pounds in 2018 and want to make sure you’re doing it the healthy way, take a peek at this Shape story. FHITpro Jess Sims explains why finding a workout you love is so important and touts the benefits of mixing up your fitness routine.
6. Questioning whether you should try a pre-workout supplement? SELF breaks down what these boosters do, the ingredients you should look for, and why they are becoming so popular.
7. You’ve probably heard the term tossed around before, but do you know what active recovery really means? FHITpro Jason Tran explains to AskMen why rest days are important and some tried and true recovery methods.
8. Greatist created a roundup of healthy recipes specifically for post-feast munching to help keep you on track through the holidays. These fruit and veggie centric bites will help you stave off a major sugar crash and give you that dose of antioxidants you’ve been missing.
9. Consult this SHAPE article before your next recovery day to make sure you make the most of it. FHITpro Melody Scharff shares her ideal schedule for full body repair, which includes foam rolling, protein packed meals, and Epsom salt baths.
10. Do you know as much as you think you do about HIT workouts? FHITpro Eric Salvador’s article in Men’s Health sheds light on 5 common misconceptions about interval training. Be sure to try his chipper workout in between FHIXes!