If you’re anything like us, your inbox is constantly bombarded with emails about new fitness classes, athletic apparel and other wellness tips. Okay okay, we’re also overloaded with emails from department stores, social media accounts and “special offers” from Seamless and Uber, but if we clicked on all of those, we’d be wasting our days online shopping, stalking Facebook and waiting for our panang curry to be delivered. Needless to say, we send those emails straight to Trash. Those wellness emails, though?! Bring ‘em on! Read on for April’s FHIT10, our ten favorite stories to HIT our inbox throughout the month.
1. Sandals, shmandels… we rock sneakers 365 days a year! Racked created this list featuring 10 of the Best NYC Sneaker Shops for Women to help all New York women find their perfect sneaker FHIT.
2. One more for the ladies: quit worrying about bulking up! Check out this article from Refinery29 on The Weight-Lifting Myth Women Need To Stop Believing, then pass it along to any of your girlfriends who are hesitant about getting their strength FHIX.
3. CNBC compared the high-energy environment of our Flatiron location to the sledgehammers at a nearby construction site. That sounds about right! Our FHIT Founder, Kari, spoke to CNBC’s Diana Olick about Boutique Fitness Muscling In On Prime Real Estate in NYC.
4. FHITpro, Daury Dross, curated two 15-Minute HIIT Workouts for askmen.com. Check them out here. Each move is accompanied by a gif of Daury performing the exercise; all you need is a blasting hip-hop playlist (get his Spotify playlist here) and it’s like you’ve got Drossfit working out next to you.
5. FHIT people are busy people! If you’re prioritizing 50 minutes of your day to a FHIX, you can save time in other ways. We recommend you start with these freezer-pack smoothie recipes from SELF Magazine to save time on breakfast.
6. One way to amp up your workout is to recover properly from your previous workouts! Skipping out on stretching can lead to injuries. This article from Men’s Health includes stretching and mobility moves that will help reduce your risk of injury and correct existing muscle imbalances.
7. Chickpeas are so versatile. They can be eaten cold in salads, cooked in stews, fried as falafel and blended into hummus. Good news for fans of chickpeas in any form – they have been deemed a heart-healthy superfood! Mindbodygreen wrote this article to bring to light all the benefits of this humble legume.
8. Between work, friends, family, FHIXin’ and everything else that consumes your waking hours, it’s no surprise that sometimes you need a little R&R. The next time you need a facial, massage or any other pampering, consult The Stripe’s roundup of the best spas in the city before you treat yo self!
9. Are any of your friends still ignoring the mass of articles supporting HIIT workouts and the myriad of ways it improves your FHITness levels? Show them this NY Times article that highlights a study on interval training that supports the notion that 1 Minute of All-Out Exercise May Have Benefits of 45 Minutes of Moderate Exertion.
10. Day to day tasks can be an absolute drag when you’re tired. If you follow all of the usual tips and tricks for a good night’s rest, but still aren’t clocking in all your necessary ZZZs, you should take a look at your diet. Well + Good is here to help with a list of 8 Superfoods for Better Sleep.