Welcome our newest instructor joining our roster of FHITpros: Mark! Mark is a former college athlete and professional volleyball player. His love of an athletic lifestyle allowed him to travel the world, both as a professional athlete and a personal trainer. Mark also trained with the US Olympic Volleyball team and served as CCNY’s Head Volleyball coach for several years.
To help you get to know our newest FHITpro and Lenny Kravitz doppelgänger, we played 21 questions.
1. First FHIX experience?
My first FHIX was with Eric and Daury at the Flatiron studio. The energy and excitement level was super high and they kicked my butt! I loved every out of breath and dripping sweat second of it!!
2. Who is your FHITspiration?
I would have to say the competitors on American Ninja Warrior. The high level of athleticism, fitness and strength that they display is something I aspire to accomplish.
3. Personal theme song?
Kanye West - All Of The Lights featuring Rihanna, Kid Cudi.
4. Celebrity doppelganger?
I love to dress up as Lenny Kravitz for Halloween.
5. Favorite guilty pleasure?
6. What is it about group fitness?
Sharing the passion to become better versions or ourselves.
7. Post workout snack?
Protein bars; I usually double up to create new flavors.
8. What is your sign? Do you read your horoscope?
Aquarius. Not on a daily basis but every once in a while when I'm looking for motivation.
9. What did you want to be when you were growing up?
An Olympic Athlete.
10. Perfect Sunday afternoon activity?
Besides watching the GIANTS, beach volleyball.
11. Best advice you ever received?
It is only impossible until someone does it. Be that someone.
12. Most challenging exercise movement and why?
Muscle Up. I love doing pull-ups, but the strength, explosiveness and body control needed for a muscle up makes it extremely difficult (and also why I love them).
13. Food you can’t live without?
Anything Momma makes.
14. Your biggest accomplishment?
Training with the USA Men's National Volleyball Team.
15. Story of your favorite tattoo?
My favorite tattoo is the sleeve on my arm. It represents my family and I got it with my brother. We share the same tattoo and a very close bond.
16. Best vacation you have ever taken?
We took a family trip back to the Cape Verde Islands. It was a blessing to see where my parents came from and helped me appreciate the life they created for us.
17. Favorite athlete?
Ronaldinho. The passion and joy that he brings to the game is amazing.
18. What is your favorite movie?
19. Who you would love to meet and have dinner with?
Conor McGregor (UFC Fighter). The way he approaches the sport and each match is inspiring. I'd love to pick his brain and find his motivation.
20. Favorite restaurant in the city?
John's Pizzeria on Bleecker.
21. Best gift you have ever received?
A beaded necklace that’s from my home country, Cape Verde.